Dear (MP / Ward Councillor / Local Council Cabinet Member for the Environment)
Airport Expansion in London
With the good news that expansion plans at both Heathrow and London City have failed, despite the recent announcement that Heathrow and Arora Holdings are appealing against the decision, we would like to highlight the community team effort which has brought this about and the increasing support from cross-party politicians and South London MPs, notably Matthew Pennycook MP for Greenwich and Woolwich, Janet Daby MP Lewisham East, Ellie Reeves MP Lewisham West & Penge who have both spoken in Parliament recently, with others working more discretely.
SE London campaign group Plane Hell Action SE, of which I am a supporter, has played no small part. I attach a photo of the Back the Ban Campaign when Caroline Pidgeon, Chair GLA Transport Committee, and Tracy Beresford, Secretary Southwark Greens, joined a SE London group of supporters in February. And another taken outside the High Court with Caroline Russell, Chair GLA Environment Committee and a supporter of Plane Hell Action SE.
While it is good news for Londoners that expansion has been halted it is important to highlight where pressure needs to be kept up:
- fairly SHARE pollution caused by plane noise and emissions across communities
- PHASE flight paths and reverse the increasing concentration in any form: NO to Independent Parallel Approaches and NO to Performance Based Navigation – satnav for planes
- BAN flights between 10pm and 7am except in emergency: an end to sleep deprivation
- end policy of departure/arrival routes to more than one airport operating over the same communities
- update SoNA, Government’s flawed noise metric which forces so many to endure plane noise at levels and times of night and day and out of step with WHO recommendations
- DfT and ICCAN should pause and consider how the improved noise climate can be protected as the industry recovers
- NO aviation bailout without green strings attached to include frequent flyer levy, tax on fuel
- BAN lifting cap on flights; for Londoners this means NO to Heathrow or London City requesting more flights even where there the cap has not been reached
Plane Hell Action SE / https://planehellaction.org.uk/